9/11/13

One Day in Budapes by J. F. Penn

One Day In BudapestOne Day In Budapest by Joanna Penn (J.F. Penn)
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When I saw the title I knew I had to read this story. I'm Hungarian by origin, and you can understand that a title like this catches my eyes. The novella connected on different levels.
It was nice to read a story in English playing out on the streets of Budapest, which I know well. But I wouldn't give more stars only because of it, there was something else. It worked well on emotional level. The story touched a real problem: rise of the right-wing nationalism. I never understood why people hate their fellow citizens just because of their origins. I never understood how it escalated to a war involving the whole world. I mean, I can understand the political reasons behind, but I cannot imagine I could be on the killing side. So when I read the scene - spoiler warning - about the murder at the Danube mimicking the executions of Jewish people at the end of WW II, my heart was racing.
The secret altar in the tunnels below the Castle is a compelling element, also the historical importance of the Holy Right.
Besides the emotional aspects I like the story because it is fast paced. I like the character of Morgan Sierra. She is the key to stop the madness of the misguided mob, but I appreciate that the author let the Hungarian guy have an important role stopping the bad guys.
One Day in Budapest is a nice read.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment