10/3/13

Writing project

They say one of the ways to fight procrastination is to make your project public. So here I am, shouting into the internet crowd: I'm writing a novella.
I'm studying the craft of writing for a few years now, and it's time to take it to the next level. I have written several short stories, some of them got nice feedbacks. I have written two novels, which stay in my drawer until I decide if they're worth the effort to edit and polish them. (There is a chance that hey will remain in the drawer for good.)
Now I'm concentrating my creativity and knowledge to craft a publishable story. So far I created the plot and the main characters. The story takes place in Brussels, Belgium, which I hope will be somewhat exotic for the readers.
And the big thing is: I'm writing a romance.
I'm an introvert by nature, and according to my wife I'm not the most romantic person in the world. Usually I read sci-fi, fantasy and thriller, but occasionally I venture into other territories such as romance and paranormal. Until now I wrote sci-fi and thriller stories, these are the genres I'm comfortable with. But I struggle with the romantic scenes. (Even sci-fi and thriller stories have romance in them, right?) I decided that I have to improve, and what is the best way to do that? Yep, jumping right into the deep water. So I bought a few how-to books on writing romance, and asked my wife to suggest some of the books she liked. And I plunged into them. At this point I cannot say if it's a good idea, but there is one way to know it: I finish this story, and ask a few beta readers for their opinions. Then I will see what will I do with the manuscript. Shred it or send it out.
I will give updates time after time on the Current Project page, I even placed a word count bar in the side column on the right.
Fingers crossed, I'm back to writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment