5/20/11

Writing Fiction for All You're Worth

Full title: Writing Fiction for All You're Worth: Strategies and Techniques for Taking Your Fiction to the Next Level

Author: James Scott Bell - he is also blogging at Kill Zone.

Description: WRITING FICTION FOR ALL YOUR WORTH contains the best of James Scott Bell's articles and blog posts on writing, easily searchable under these headings: The Writing World, The Writing Life, and The Writing Craft. You'll learn about the 6 critical success factors for bestselling fiction, how to write un-put-downable action scenes, and how to capture the interest of an agent. The keys to a dynamic opening page are revealed, and just as important, what NOT to do in the opening. There's plenty of inside information on what agents and editors say they're looking for and detailed instructions on how to write a stress free query. You'll learn what to put on your LAST page, when to use italics, how to write with courage. And a whole lot more.

My opinion:

First I found a little uncomfortable that the book is a series of earlier blog posts. (They may have been edited, may not, I didn't check it out.) But later I forgot about it because of the great content.

Usually I find a writing book worth the money if I learn something valuable from it. Well, I learned a lot of good stuff from Mr Bell. A few examples:

  • I started to plan my writing time, and to stick to a weekly quota. I do it for a few weeks only, but in this way I managed to finish two short story drafts.

  • I discovered that the first page of my first novel (still in the making) is not that bad.

  • I will use the Bridge story structure in my second novel (once the first one will be finished).


I could continue the list, but I let you to discover the book. I really enjoyed the advices about the craft, and I liked the way James Scott Bell encouraged me to use them, build them into my writing practice, and benefit from them. Being a writer is a life of continuous learning, and the book pokes you to make efforts to grow and develop. Actually I made notes for myself in my notebook, so I have the essence of it always with me. (You know the drill: you should carry a notebook all the time with you to jot down new ideas.)

Here and there I found Mr Bell ranting about baseball, that I did not understand. (Sorry, my bad, I'm not really into it.) The author used these to lead up to the point about writing, so at the end of the day these real life examples were useful (if you play / follow baseball, I mean).

Format / Typo issues: none, of course.

My rating: five stars. The book merits it. A must read.

No comments:

Post a Comment