5/8/11

Red Smoke Rising

Red Smoke risingAuthor: Rick Anthony

Description: from Amazon:
Over a hundred years have passed since the invaders came to steal the drug, since Mia's homeland was occupied. Once they understood the drug's secrets, the Nor army was unstoppable, superhuman. Mia's people were overwhelmed and defeated - slaves in their own lands.

In the time that has passed, Mia and the Underground have stolen the drug, along with the knowledge of how to use it to create an army of their own. Now, the time has come for the resistance army of shapeshifters, Masters and Trademasters to stand against the Nor Empire and take back their homeland... before their chance is gone forever.

My opinion:

I'm not really into fantasy, at least lately. I have read quite a few in my teens, but later I was more interested in sci-fi. So I'm not a fantasy expert, but someone who wants to discover it. Red Smoke Rising is a good start, I can tell.

Fantasy books use different sources to explain how their magic works. In this book it is the drog called ku which makes possible shifting shapes, modifying material, augmenting human capabilities (and other magic) by altering the aura.

The story is about fighting over the possession of the drug. Who owns the ku, owns the magic, therefore owns the power. The story also about rebellion against oppression and fighting for liberty. The Nor empire took over the land of Muoro, and now it is the time for the slowly developing underground rebels to strike back and expel the powerful Myrmidon soldiers.

The book is fast paced, full of action, I liked that. I also liked that I met many kind of fantasy creatures like ogres, zombies, golems, werefolfs, trolls, even a minoatur and a dragon. The author gave explanations how they came into existence, and placed them in the story well. During the first two thirds of the story it was already interesting and entertaining, and in the third one it intensified and lead to a great battle of freedom. At that point I didn't to put it down until the last page.

Concerning the characters, I would have appreciated some more build up. There were some minor things out of place, related to how they reacted in certain situations, but overall, they fulfilled their roles in the story. They were likable, even Oni, the ogre, and I could identify with them.

Format / Typo issues: just a few punctuation errors, not disturbing.

My rating: I give it four stars. I certainly suggest it for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment