2/19/13

Unblocked

Last weekend I had it. First time in my short writing life. I knew it existed, but I didn't know what was it like. I would have passed, if you ask me, but what could I do?

On Friday I was staring at the screen, reading the last chapter of the novelette I'm working on. I knew it was leading nowhere. When I planned the story, in my mind I pictured something totally different. The characters just went off-track, wondering around, talking gibberish. And I was blocked.

I always imagined writer's block as staring at the blank screen, not knowing what to write. I never have that. I always know what to write, because I have so many ideas swirling in my head I could fill books with them. So I never have to ask myself: now what? It wasn't that kind of block last weekend. I could start to write if I wanted to, I could continue the story immediately, I could fill pages with words effortlessly. But man, I knew it ain't going nowhere.

So I didn't write a word on Saturday nor Sunday. It happens anyway, when I'm too busy with the family, or I have something really important to do. Or I'm too lazy to do something meaningful.

Walk the Dog and Think - Photo: danamason06
Walk the Dog and Think - Photo: danamason06

But it was different. I didn't write, because I didn't want the characters to kill the readers by boredom. Unfortunately I had no better idea for the time being, so I had to work it out. I got my brain to work, and I was thinking hard for two days. (At least when not watching films or playing computer games). I was thinking while helping my wife to vacuum the floor, arranging boxes in the garage, or walking the dog. By the way, have you tried it? To walk the dog and think about your ongoing project. While the dog smells everything and pisses on the wooden posts, you can fine-tune plots, find out characters, even create complete sentences in your head. Very effective.

I discovered the power of thinking again. In my opinion, it is integral part of the writing process, so I spend time cogitating. I can say, I don't stop thinking as a writer. (Big words from someone who isn't published. Yet. But hey, you have to write before you publish, right? I'm just not at that phase yet.)

After two days I sat and cut the whole last chapter out. I have put it in a separate note called trash. Because it was trash. But I didn't delete it permanently, later I may use a few descriptive sentences. Then I started to write a different angle, different thread. And it was much better.

Now I keep working on this new plot, and go along with it for a while. At least until it sidetracks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment