1/29/13

When the Heart Lies by Christina North

Jenny runs out the front door, and shouts back to me while taking her coat.
"I'm in a hurry, uncle. Don't forget to post that review. See ya!"
Oh, that review. I want to tell her it's not fair, she could write a much better one, because she is a woman, and understands those strange emotions much better than me, but she is already at her car, jumping in. I sigh, close the door, and go to my computer. I sit down, strech my fingers, and stare at the blank screen for a while. Then I stand up, pace the room for a minute, thinking hard. Finally I decide I cannot write a review of a romance as Jenny could, so I should do it my way. If Jenny won't like it when she's back, she can write her own review. So here it is:

heartlies"OK, this is a review from a guy, who is not the most romantic creature on the Earth - at least my wife says so. I like this book for two reasons.
One: Kinsley, the heroine took revenge on the
a$$holesbad guys. This is what Jack Reacher would do (if you know who I'm talking about). The bastards who beguile, deceit and finally kidnap her are finally punished. The good wins, and gets away with it.
Two: the chemistry between Jackson and Kinsley worked surprisingly well for me. There was wanting, there were obstacles, there were fighting emotions, there were misunderstandings. I'm not an expert in romance, but I found myself turning pages more quickly when they found the love in each other. You know what I mean.
Three (it just came into my mind, so I like the book for three reasons): there were some twists and turns I didn't expect. I don't want to spoil the book, you will have to read it yourself, but there are surprises along the story.
At first I found Kinsley week in character, indecisive, not knowing what she wanted, but later I realised that this is her personality, this is why she made bad decisions, and this is why she had a chance to stand up and get out of the trouble. Besides, who said a protagonist always has to be a strong-willed one?"

1 comment: